Sunday, January 4, 2009

1/3&4/9 :: Depart and Arrive


I've arrived!
And man, was yesterday(today?) a long day.  

After lots of nervous waiting at airports, once I finally got on the plane to Edinburgh, I was feeling pretty good.  Six hours later, however, I was not feeling pretty good anymore.  Never have so many of my muscles ached simultaneously...  international flights are definitely a chore.

But on to the good stuff...

I landed about 7:30am Edinburgh's time, and I got through customs easily enough.  Once I got my bags and got into the taxi, I was starting to relax after 24 hours of being completely strung out.  The driver looked at my address and said it was a great central location and to sit back and enjoy the ride.  He pointed out things along the way, but it was all going by so quickly!  The city is definitely the most beautiful place I have ever seen.  It's like a storybook-- the streets are cobblestone and even the billboards don't seem to ruin the mood.    

Lea, the flat-owner, greeted me at the door with a hug.  She and Uri helped me get my suitcases up the 3 flights of stairs.  Our flat is on the top floor, and it overlooks the college of art where I'll be studying.  She showed me to my room, and I can see right in the classrooms and the castle from my window.  After a brief chat and some tea, I unpacked, took a nap, and showered.  My power converter didn't work, and my hair dryer nearly caught on fire.  That was amusing.  The not amusing part is that I'm going to have bad hair for my first night on the town.

Now I'm just waiting for Haley to come fetch me and take me out for a night in Edinburgh with her beau, Jamie.

There has been so much to process, and I'm having a hard time taking it all in.  Edinburgh seems to have been the perfect choice.  I'm so incredibly amazingly happy.  And hungry.  I haven't eaten in over 24 hours.  Rah!

No comments: